Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Big Picture

Carsyn decided after a day in the desert that she would go home with the grandparents and spend the night. We knew she wouldn't because just the short drive from the day camp to Globe for a park and swap, she cried out for her mom. But we said yes anyway. We would love her to spend the night.

She helped us put away the camping things, and relaxed with us while we watch a movie. Then early evening came along and I asked "Are you going to sleep over?" Right away she said "No". So she gathered her things and gave kisses. This is a step for her. She loves her moms so much. Baby steps with her. The bigger picture is one day she might spend a whole week with us and when it is over she might cry not to have to go home.

While my pup and I are training on cattle or chickens there is a lot of loud commands. My family listens to me daily and wonder by what they hear if I am going to kill a dog or dogs or just keel over with a heart attack.

What I am building for is a command that they can hear on the other side of a large loud herd of cattle. You really don't want them to watch for hand signals because they take their eyes of the cattle to watch you.

Today I got my two herding dogs to play fetch side by side, kinda. I had to have them each watch a different hand and throw in opposite directions but they ignored each other. That is a large step. They are very competitive so that brings them side by side for most of the day.

What I want and need is for them to work independently of each other most of the time and only unite on a stubborn cow.

No comments: