Thursday, February 11, 2010

Proud Mama

I haven't been fair to Vaquera. She has had no puppy time compared to Gideon. With Gideon I was religious about 5 minutes 3 times a day on training. I don't know where my life has gone or my commitment to her is, but tonight I decided to change that. Yes I taught her to sit and to come when called. That is nothing compared to what I did with Mobie and Gideon. I spent time helping her learn about chickens but that was also with Gideon training along side of her.

I sent the other dogs in the house and decided to teach fetch. I grabbed a tennis ball. Called Vaquera to me. She came happily. I bounce the ball twice to get her attention. Tossed it, at the same time I said go. That way she would acquaint the word "go" to working cattle. She went for and returned with it. Wow, first time and so far every time. Mobie can't fetch, he takes the ball and runs. Gideon went for the ball but when I called him he dropped it, and came running with out it. It took some time but not long.

The other day it was time to put away the chickens. Found all but one. After 45 minutes of looking. We (me and the two dogs) went into the back yard to see if she had come out to start roosting now that it was getting later in the evening. There I found her, outside of the yard. I said, see it. Gideon knows that phrase and went on alert, looking in the direction that I was pointing. Vaquera took to the excitement and tried to follow Gideon. I opened the gate, they ran in the direction of the chicken. The chicken started running the wrong way then turned and dove under the small hole in the fence. Both dogs turned toward the fence, Vaquera turned once again and ran toward the back yard to finish the job. Gideon stopped at the fence looked at me and then took off to the back yard. The chicken was put away. Yea.

Gideon amazed me on how smart he is. Vaquera scares me on how smart she is. Can I stay a step ahead of her?

1 comment:

southolive said...

Wow That is so cool! She is a Smart doggie!