Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Can You Tell Me Why?

I believe some of you can answer me this one question: Why do people pick on me? I don't know why. Here are a few examples of what I mean.

In May I drove to the BLM office for a week. It was by the old Metro Center Mall, nice long drive. The class was amazing. Learned about invasive plants, how to read soil, and wind or water erosion. I was the only civilian, meaning all the others were state or federal employees there to gain further education toward their employments.
Before the week was up they were calling me Mom. Most of the instructors were my age or older. But they came up with that name for me. And then was the picking on me. Just little jabs here and there. But then again, the instructors or the highly knowledgeable students would make sure they teamed up with me to help my inexperience. The instructors and students came from about five different states, yet they had time to pick on me and help me, a civilian out. I have high regards for them. Even though they PICKED.

Now I am in Kansas taking a class. The students here come from 6 differnt states. Most are from east of the Mississippi. Here comes the picking. The instructors ask a question and if know one answers, they call on me. The first day I got all the questions right. The second day wow, a bit more challenging. I am not kidding about picking on me. I sat in the front row so I wouldn't miss anything. Unlike the first class that was free, this one is very costly and I wanted my moneys worth. Well here comes a question and I look around to see if anyone is going to answer and dang then I look forward and I get a pointing finger or the nod. They ask me to make a guess. And some of my answers make for a good ribbing. They love that I am from AZ. They give an example and then they turn to me and say what ya think, I say, can't work here and they say your right. Then they explain why AZ is so different from were they are.
I walked out my door and the oldest student was walking to go get dinner so I invited myself to go with him. He is 78 and Vietnam vet. I wanted to visit with him and learn more about him. He is amazing person. He is from the south, and yes he is black. He used to in his younger day, raise race horses. And so many other things. He is like an interesting book and I just wanted to check it out. He is so happy and positive it sucks you in. So anyway during our dinner I told him, "they pick on me" he just smiled and said "I think they just like you".

So answer me, why am I picked on? I could see if I started it but I will testify the first class I didn't not start it. I was so out of my league that I wished I was a mute. Way over my head on that one. Now this class, I picked. But they started it.

WHY DO THEY PICK ME TO PICK ON?

2 comments:

Josh said...

We pick on you because we know you can take it and dish it back. You are so loving caring and helpful. Always willing to make someone smile and laught. Josh

Alicia Baker said...

I always get picked on, too! It must be in the genes. We're just too happy all the time so people know we can handle it without getting upset.