Friday, August 13, 2010

Two Much Trouble

For the first time I worked both of my dogs together. They are a year apart and both under 2 years of age. Believe me when I say they compete. I knew it was going to be an easy ride. We were riding early in the afternoon, going to just throw them on water so we could film them for a video auction. I was dropped off on the south on my quad. My dad would go get his quad from the ranch house and come in from the north and my cousin would come from the east on horse.
I have the option if it gets to hairy with both I can tie them to a tree and come back after them. First thing I notice is one of our calves is over the fence. I decide that my younger dog Vaquera, who loves to ride on the quad, will ride with me then I don't have two scary monsters chasing one scared calf from here to there. We go through the neighbors gate, swing wide, low and behold it goes down the fence line. Now momma has noticed and she comes the fence line. Just got to get the calf to the gate before his mom, and it will be fine. Yes, the calf saw the hole and ran through. Now as I close the gate the cow takes off on a trot the wrong way. I go to turn her and the game is on. The two take off at top speed to see who can get there first. The cow and calf have tails high in the air and are gone. First choice is to get the dogs back under control. My trainer has showed me how well dogs listen to a quirk (a whip). I catch up with them, jump off my quad, give two snaps with the quirk and tell them to get back. I get on my quad, once again tell them stay behind me and slowly come up on the cow. My older dog, Gideon, he's a heeler. Doesn't like to go out front. He loves to trail behind. He keeps his distance. Not much fight in him. He will take a nip if he feels that is needed. The other, she is a control freak. She tries to take charge of every situation. Head is her place but she will come behind. Always on the move she is. Swing up one side and then the other, always trying to get to the front.
We now have the cow and calf almost bunched up with about 12 other head. My young one has now stepped up to work the cattle. Every time she gets close the last cow stops and takes a look at her. I call her back. Soon she takes notice that if a cow looks back she is too close and she either stops to get distance or she slows down. Lesson learned. It was a beautiful thing to behold.

No comments: