Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Smell of Death

Conference weekend some of the family came to Vernon to listen to General Conference. On Saturday evening Jesse dug a hole in the back yard, filled it with hard wood and burnt it down to some beautiful coals. He dug out the coals and we then put some seasoned roast in a dutchoven, buried in the hole with the coals and a heap of dirt on top. The next day put some potatoes in the oven. Oh yum. Sign me up again.
The next weekend was shipping and our great adventure to New Mexico and Texas. Fun Fun.
This weekend we drove up late Friday night to make the parts delivery in St. Johns, then over to the ranch to check the water. (For anyone that wants to know, there was still plenty). Back to Vernon to fix a frozen pizza, chop a little wood, (yea for fires). As we sat there eating, believe it or not it got warm enough to open the doors and let some fresh crisp air in. Suddenly I turn to Tom and ask him if he smells something dead. Yep he does. Wow do I need to close the door. As I get up to check it out, I smell it from the back door worse. Ugh. I go toward the door to close it, and wow, over powered. Death is in my oven. Oh man do I really want to look. Years ago we had mice nesting behind the stove and as I heated it up it put out a smell, so at this time that thought crossed my mind. And the pizza I just ate came from there. Hold on stomach. Open the door and behold death is wrapped up in tin foil. The stupid left over potatoes from two weeks ago. The sad thing is for those two weeks, I remembered I forgot to get them out. I just remembered every time I was in Higley. And forgot again when I was in Vernon.

4 comments:

Alicia Baker said...

Haha I was expecting you to have baked some mice! That is my worst fear whenever I use the oven.

Louise said...

that is so nasty. And I know the smell of rotten potatoes. they'd only last a week in our hot old house. i think it's worse than death. then again the ranch got me used to rotting meat.

Anonymous said...

Haha! So you came to New Mexico? Hello?

Debbie & Don said...

Tom and Ginny, How the Heck are you two? We are also empty nesters. Time files when your having fun. I love reading about your adventures. Hey Ginny, after all these years, I finaly made a levi jean blankit. and my spelling has not improved. Visit our blog. Your old time friends,
Don and Debbie Crandell