Wednesday, March 4, 2009

GRANDPA'S OIL

It is late and I was laying in bed going in and out of sleep when Louise bursts through the door in tears! She is not feeling good and feels like she needs to vomit but can't. She wants a Priesthood blessing.

As Mormon's we believe that all worthy males can receive the priesthood through the laying on of hands by one that has the Priesthood authority. When we say Priesthood authority we mean that same authority that the Savior Jesus Christ gave his apostles. With that authority we can administer blessings to the sick by first anointing them with olive oil that has been consecrated by that same authority for the blessing of the sick, then the anointing needs to be seal by another and then the blessing is pronounced.

As I was rolling out of bed I asked Ginny "were the oil is" and she reminds me that "Grandpa's oil" is on the shelf in the hall. When Grandma died and my Dad bought the house we had to go in and clean it out. As we cleaned out the hall cabinet were grandpa and grandma kept their medicine, it had a lot of old medicine bottles that we saved. As we were going through them we found an old dark brown glass medicine bottle with a strip of old white medical tape and on it was written "Consecrated Oil" in blue ball point pen. We set that bottle of oil on the shelf in our hall with the other old medicine bottles. Not in disrespect but as a reminder that Consecrated oil is part of the Mormon medicine cabinet.

After using the oil and the Priesthood I went back to bed. As my mind went through what had just taken place I stated to cry. No, I am not a boob. OK, yes I am when it comes to my kids and Grandpa Baker. To think that I was able to bless my child using oil that my Grandpa had consecrated years before. He, that had passed on, was able to reach through the vale and bless my daughter. I miss him so much! I relish the day when I will meet him on the other side. He was such a loving man and I know he loved his grand children so much.

It also hit me that this will most likely be the last time I will be able to give my daughter Louise a Priesthood blessing. As I give my oldest daughter to Lance he will use that same priesthood authority to bless her as well as my grand babies that come to them. Who knows, maybe I should give them some of "Grandpa's oil".

5 comments:

southolive said...

That is so special!

Anonymous said...

Great post! No, that will not be the last time you give Louise a priesthood blessing. You are the only one that can give her a father's blessing. Jill still asks for those! Isn't the gospel just so cool?

Anonymous said...

That post was amazing. Thank you for sharing.

Hannah + 4 said...

Great post! I'm a boob also I cried thru most of that!

The Bozemans said...

How neat! I miss Great Grandpa Baker a lot, too. Thanks for sharing, Tom!